Monday, February 6, 2012

The Smoking Mirror

Tezcatlipoca (the Smoking Mirror)
The embodiment of change through conflict. 

The buddhists say "thou are that". Your external reality is a reflection of your internal reality and visa versa. I see this very clearly as I get deeper into the hard internal work of being an activist member of my community. I come up against painful, difficult problems between myself and others: ego conflicts, angry and hurt feelings, past projections on present conditions, etc. and I begin to see that it only increases conflict if I act out of a belief that those issues are "out there". I'm an artist and am use to the isolated life of the mind in my studio where I play my own game without the annoying interference of other people. I'm trying to learn a new way now; to halt the rote response, take a deep breath and see how my inner conflicts are being mirrored around me.  I can talk about inclusiveness, compassion, sustainability, transition but if I am not actively practicing these disciplines every day then what hope do I really have to help make the external changes that need to be made? Working with others brings me up hard against myself. The problem is the solution.

4 comments:

  1. SARTRE SAID HELL IS OTHER PEOPLE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dave,

      That's funny coming from an existentialist. Two cannibals are eating an existentialist. One turns to the other and says..... fill in the blank.

      Delete
  2. Any realized creator/artist who chooses to share their inspiration with the world, I believe, struggles with this very thing. When you have recognized that this is simply who you are, the very essence of your purpose and meaning here in this realm, what is cause for you to do about it? I believe that through the magic of creating we understand truths, and by no real choice of our own, we in large part become that very force that drives us.
    Inspiration. Is it a curse or a gift? Both, maybe? All I know is that with that acknowledgment comes the hardest, most courageous struggle you will ever encounter. The question becomes, "How can I use this vessel through spirit?" Not only is it difficult, but in a world of ego, it is never ending. Then comes another question, "Do I have the resolve? Or do I just want to be another frightened artist, scared of their own shadow, lying in their own drunk induced vomit?” You inspired me to share. Gratitude...keep shining.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bird in Flight,

      Thanks so much for your response. Very deep and thoughtful. "Do I have the resolve?". Such an important question. I ask myself that every day. So far, so good.

      Delete