Tuesday, January 1, 2013
It's New Year's Day, 2013. I'm exhausted from changing my life. Enough already. Today, I make no decisions, no plans, I go nowhere, I stay in bed. Ha. Right. So far this is what's happened:
1. I did sleep late. Good for me.
2. Calisthenics and Core building. Permaculturists have to stay fit, after all.
3. Major computer research - native desert grass seeds, correct clay for making seed balls, how to plant potatoes, Transition towns in California, desert land restoration techniques, etc.
4. Periodic reading of "Tending the Wild; Native American Knowledge and the Management of California's Natural Resources". I could only read this in 5 minute intervals because the descriptions of the immensely vibrant ecosystem of pre Euro California...well, it just made me cry.
5. Then some good solid stream of consciousness time that went something like... "Shit. There's so much waking up and work that we humans have to do now to try to repair the damage. Why didn't I start doing this work in my 20s??? But nooo, I had to strive to be a big deal famous artist. Pathetic. Now, I'm 60. There's so much to do and so little time." Basically, I got all Schindler's List on myself.
6. Continuing on - "Good thing it's not all about me. The current 20 somethings include some passionate souls who are ready to step up to the plate. I sure wish we hadn't left them such a mess (iPhones not included). I'm just going to need to keep taking one step at a time and do my best to help make things better." My inner Girl Scout gets the upper hand.
7. Time to go for a walk and clear my head. It takes courage to be human.